Self-Assessment Is Credit for Prior Learning Right for You?
Credit for Prior Learning is for adult learners who have gained significant knowledge, skills and abilities outside the traditional classroom that may be equivalent to college-level coursework. Credentialed faculty in each discipline will establish the course criteria and assess fulfillment to determine credit awarded.
This self-assessment checklist is designed to help learners determine if Credit for Prior Learning is a good option for them.
AM I A GOOD CPL CANDIDATE?
- Required: I am a fully admitted student to South Central College. If you're not, start the process by applying today.
- Have I had at least 3 years of experience in the field/subject area?
- Have I managed other people at work or a volunteer organization?
- Can I demonstrate that I possess current knowledge from my past experience?
- Do I have extensive volunteer or community involvement that utilizes my professional skills?
- Have I learned progressively more advanced or complex processes in my job, travel, or volunteer work?
- Can I differentiate what I have learned from the experience and align it with the course learning outcomes?
- Do I understand both the practical and theoretical applications of the course?
- Do I have documentation to support my learning such as: licensure, certification, presentations, software code, work examples, etc.?
- Is there room for the course(s) in my program of study?
- Have I completed non-credit college courses?
- Am I or was I a member of the armed forces?
- Have I lived in a foreign country and/or traveled extensively?
- Do I plan to complete my certificate, diploma or degree at SCC?