Part 1. Purpose. This procedure provides clear, accessible information to students regarding admissions requirements to the college as well as the appropriate level of academic preparation necessary for success in specific programs of study.
Part 2. Application Form and Fee.
- Application Fee: South Central College will charge a one-time, non-refundable application fee. An admission decision will not be communicated until the application fee has been paid or waived, and admission requirements have been met.
- Application Form: All applicants must submit a Minnesota State online application form or a South Central College paper application.
- Application Deadlines:
- New applicants must meet posted international application deadlines.
- Transfer students from another U.S. institution must adhere to international transfer student deadlines.
Part 3. International Admission. A person enrolling at the college as an international student must submit the following to the Admissions Office:
- Completed International Student Admission Application
- Proof of academic achievement as documented by official high school or college transcripts (English or English translation)
- Applicants must submit a notarized, current, original bank statement showing the required dollar amount in U.S. currency for adequate financial support to cover all educational and living expenses to fund one academic year (tuition and fees, books, housing, food, transportation, medical insurance, and other expenses).
- If using a financial sponsor, the financial sponsor must submit an Affidavit of Support (I-134) and a notarized, current, original bank statement in U.S. currency.
- The bank statement must be in English, certified by a bank official, and not less than two (2) months old at the time of application.
- Proof of English proficiency based on one of the following tests:
- TOEFL – minimum score of 500 on the Paper-Based Test (PBT) or 61 on the internet-Based Test (iBT)
- Michigan Test – minimum score of 75
- ELS – Academic level 109 completed
- Proof of visa status if currently residing in U.S, or copy of Form I-20 for F-1 visa holders
- Purchase mandatory college-sponsored medical insurance plan
Part 4. Admission to a Program of Study. Specific programs may have standards for admission that exceed or are in addition to the requirements for admission to the institution.
Part 5. Visiting Student Provisions.
- Visiting students shall satisfy course prerequisites.
- Enrollment may be denied to a student with a hold due to conduct or Satisfactory Academic Progress, at any institution.
- Students who have a financial hold on their records from another Minnesota State college or university will be denied the ability to register for courses at South Central College. An exception may be considered if a 3rd party is paying for the course (e.g. employer, Workforce Center, etc.) in which case a hold may temporarily be removed to allow for registration and then the hold will be re-applied to the students account.
- A registration window for visiting students will provide them with a reasonable opportunity to register for courses.
- South Central College may limit enrollment in historically high demand courses.
Part 6. Immunizations. Documentation of Immunization as per Minnesota State Statute (M.S.135A.14) must be received no later than 45 class days after the semester begins. Students are allowed to register for their initial term without complete immunization information on file. A registration hold will limit future registration to one course if the immunization form is not received.
Part 7. Appeals. Students denied admission or enrollment as a visiting student may appeal. Appeals of denial of admission or enrollment based on financial holds shall not be accepted.
Date of Final Approval / Policy Adoption: April 22, 2016