Upcoming Information sessions
Please join us at an information session to see how you can benefit from the SCC TRIO SSS program. You will learn how TRIO can benefit you directly: a personalized student success plan, a personal advisor to help with the challenges you face while you pursue your education, and more! Agenda for the session: 15-20 minute presentation, then lots of time for questions or to stay and complete an application on the spot. Hope to see you there!
Need more information?
- Please use the TRIO Online Application to apply.
TRIO is your pathway to success
SCC is the recipient of a 5 year federal TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) grant funded through the US Department of Education. The $242,136 grant will allow SCC to provide tutoring and support services to first generation, low income, and students with disabilities. The grant objectives include increased student retention, transfer and graduation rates.
Objectives of the TRIO SSS grant include a student staying in college, maintaining good grades and academic standing, transfering to 4 year colleges, and graduation. Strategies that will be incorporated into the program to achieve these objectives include:
- Proactive Advising
- Academic Support Services (tutoring, study skills)
- Financial Aid Guidance
- Assistance with FAFSA
- Career Exploration
- Leadership Development
- Cultural Enrichment
- Transfer Services
- Personal Counseling
- Peer Mentoring
- Financial Literacy, like budgeting, scholarship search, etc.
From enrollment until graduation,
TRIO SSS students may receive assistance in the following areas:
- Individual Student Success Plan
- Academic advising
- Monitoring of academic progress
- Academic success workshops: time management/test-taking/note-taking/math skills, etc.
- Academic involvement
- Study skills development
- Transfer planning
- Computer skills assistance
- FAFSA completion assistance
- Review of financial aid awards
- Financial literacy and budget management skills
- Identification of alternative sources of aid
- Scholarship search and application assistance
- Cultural enrichment activities
- Leadership opportunities
- Academic and personal goal setting
- GPS Lifeplan Modules: Career, Education, Finance, Leadership, Personal
- Networking with faculty/staff
- Career exploration and planning
- Choosing a major
- Resume/cover letter writing
- Referrals to on and off campus resources
- Stress management
- Time management