VA GI Bill Benefits

Those eligible for educational benefits from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs should contact David Schrader or visit to apply for:

  • Chapter 30 - Active Duty
  • Chapter 33 - Post-9/11 GI Bill
  • Chapter 35 - Dependent and Survivors Educational Assistance
  • Chapter 1606 - Guard/Reserve

*Note: It can take the VA up to 12 weeks to begin payment on these benefits, so it is important to apply as soon as you have registered for classes.

Monthly Enrollment Verification

All Chapter 30 and 1606 beneficiaries must verify their enrollment on a monthly basis, on or after the last day of the month.  Click here to complete your monthly enrollment verification, or call 1-877-823-2378.

If you have a change in enrollment that impacts your status, for example withdrawing from school or dropping from full time to 3/4 time, you must notify Candy Laven at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or 507-389-7354. 

Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA)

Active duty military members, and current members of some reserve & national guard components may be eligible for Federal Tuition Assistance.  TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning.  Students must be fully admitted and have unit approval.  For more information on how to receive FTA please contact David Schrader at 507-389-5726.  Students must provide a Tuition Assistance Authorization form to the school billing office.

Minnesota GI Bill

The Minnesota G.I. Bill is a new program that provides post secondary educational assistance above and beyond other benefits to eligible Minnesota veterans. Full-time undergraduate may be eligible receive up to $1,000 per semester and part-time students can receive up to $500 per semester. You must apply for federal student aid through in order to be considered for the Minnesota GI Bill.

Eligibility Requirements

To qualify, you must be a Minnesota resident enrolled at a Minnesota institution and a:

  • Veteran who is serving or has served honorably in any branch of the United States armed forces at any time or;
  • Non-veteran who has served honorably for a total of five years or more cumulatively as a member of the Minnesota National Guard or any other active or reserve component of the United States armed forces, and any part of that service occurred on or after September 11, 2001, or;
  • Spouse or child of a person who has served in the military at any time on and who has died or has a total and permanent disability as a direct result of that military service. (Student must also be eligible to receive federal veterans education benefits as a spouse or dependent.)

For more information or to apply, contact David Schrader at 507-389-5726 or click here. Applications must be returned to the Financial Aid office.